Customer satisfaction and ease of navigation have a direct correlation with the amount spent in store, according to Inside Retail.

While many brands and businesses continue to discount prices to encourage shoppers, Inside Retail suggests making it easier for consumers to find and buy what they want is a key retail strategy to unlock growth potential.

To do this, retailers in Australia are recommended  to reduce the time shoppers spend at the shelf.

Here are two insights that can help you understand your customers’ motives and improve their shopping experience.

Two types of shoppers

Consumers usually fall into one of two categories when shopping in store – decided or open.

Decided shoppers are by far the majority. Their purchase process is largely focused on finding that they have previously chosen to buy.

The most time they spend at the shelf is searching for what they already know they want. The risk here is the more time they spend looking, the more likely they are to leave with nothing.

Open shoppers will spend more time in store, reading information and actively making decisions at the shelf.

Call to action messaging on packaging and shelves are best designed to target an open shopper.

Speed and Convenience

Spending is proven to increase when finding products is faster and easier, according to Insider Retail.

Reducing shopping time is beneficial as only 10 per cent of shopper time is spent in active selection. The remaining 90 per cent is spent navigating, so increasing the time spent in store is only likely to inflate the frustration.

It is also understood that shoppers tend to look at product packaging for a fraction of a second, so extra time in store will not necessarily translate to additional brand engagement.

Making products easier to find and buy will make shoppers happier, and can encourage opportunities for growth in sales.