So what makes Amazon so successful, here’s maybe a couple of things:
1. Depth/breadth of range: they carry everything in every size (because they can). For example, they have 90K listings for Nike products.
2. Fulfilment: I’m going to leave this number 2 as something that’s more for the US market – they fulfil quickly (if you’re in the US). This is a key area for them to improve if they want world domination (ex. US).
3. Acquisitions and sub-brands: It’s been investing heavily in fashion acquiring websites like Shopbop, flash sale sites like My Habit and also launching it’s own online shops. This helps them create serious fashion cred and influence that the Amazon brand definetly doesn’t carry itself.
4. Back-end: it’s set-up a 46,000 square foot photo studio in London, to churn our 500,000 clothing images and it’s warehouse distribution model.
5. Marketing: finally, at New York Fashion Week (male) they were the marquee sponsor.